Thursday, March 13, 2014

diy decoupage memory jar


Decoupage Memory Jar


Start out with an empty glass/mason jar. You can even reuse any type of empty food container that has been washed. Gather your decoupage supplies- cut out magazine clippings or other types of decorative paper that would like to use. Take a paintbrush (preferably a sponge-tip applicator) and coat the inside of the jar with Mod-Podge. I recommend beginning with a small area at a time and slowly working your way around the jar, adding more glue as you are ready to apply the paper (that way the glue won't dry before you've had time to reach that spot). Start out by gluing down the pieces you would like to be seen from the outside of the jar first, and layer the background pieces accordingly. Once you have glued everything down, wait for it to dry before applying an additional 1-2 coats of glue to the inside of the jar. This will create a seal along the inside of the jar so the paper won't bend or come loose, and the items you place in the jar won't ruin the decoupage effect. I also decided to decorate the cover to my jar using the same process as the inside of the jar, making sure to seal the cover with an extra couple coats of Mod-Podge. 




Fill up your jar with items of your choice! I decided to use mine as a memory jar for 2014. I cut out small pieces of paper and write down memories that stand out to me or small things I want to remember. At the end of the year, I will be able to look back and revisit all the things that made me happy throughout the year! My jar is also sprinkled with paper hearts, random fortunes from Chinese restaurants, mismatched/broken earrings, and other miscellaneous items. 


No comments:

Post a Comment