Saturday, June 7, 2014

chocolate glazed doughnut holes


Due to National Doughnut Day yesterday, my obsession with doughnuts was obviously heightened and I decided to try making my own batch at home. I was unsure as to whether or not I should bake or fry the doughnuts, but in the end decided that frying them would create the most realistic taste, mimicking the doughnuts from our local doughnut shop. 

For the most part, I followed this recipe, however did need to make some slight changes throughout the cooking process. Although the initial ingredients do not call for milk, it quickly became apparent that I needed to add milk and/or water in order to create a dough-like consistency. In the end, I ended up adding around 1/4 cup milk and a bit of water. I also did not fill my pan with as much oil as the recipe called for. I ended up simply flipping the doughnut holes over in order to cook on both sides. 

I recommend dipping your hands in water before molding the dough into bite size pieces, as well as forming all of the "holes" before begging the frying process. I did need to make more icing as I ran out about half way through, and if I were to recreate this recipe I would have simply doubled the icing recipe from the start. 

All in all, these doughnut holes came out better than I expected, and they were competitive with fresh store bought doughnuts as well! Here is an updated ingredients list using the original recipe from Teenage Taste:


Doughnuts:
  • 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup milk
Icing:
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 4-6 tablespoons milk
  • 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract

No comments:

Post a Comment